0

Tutorial 5 - Assignment 4 - Active Ageing Poster

Posted by Mr.Panda on 9:53 PM

Assignment 5's requirement is to design a poster promoting Active Ageing. My target audience is the Senior Citizens of Singapore, mostly aged above 65.

My idea is to grab their attention with a striking graphic element, so I decided to go for a single big photograph of an old person's face. However, it has to have something to do with the concept of promoting active ageing, so I thought of incorporating the "active" elements into the face itself, and that is when the idea of creating a mosaic image came to my mind. The problem is "How to do this?" I then went online to search for mosaic image creating software, and luckily the software is an open source, so my problem was solved! Then I started to look for photographs that are relevant to "being active", "young", "playing sport", "happy", . . . and tons of others that invoke a positive attitude towards how to live life. I found around 1500 images of these kinds and it took me 3 days to do so. Then I created the old lady's face using these photos. Since the software matches the constituent images' color with the face's color, so it didn't use up 1500 photographs. Below is my first draft:


I chose brown and green as the 2 key colors for the design since brown represents old and green represent young & active, so both colors are relevant to the concept of living a young and active life. I left no space between every word for the title since the colors already did a good job of separating them, and I think there's no issue of readability here. The title I choose for the poster is make"Active"partofyou, the rationale for this choice is that "make it part of you" is the method I use for creating the face (make each photograph part of the face).

The poster must have a goal, so I choose Council for Third Age as the organizer of the event the poster introduces. I also included the supporters for the event such as IDA, POSB, etc. The goal of the poster is to attract the senior citizens to join Active Ageing Festival 2009.

As for the event timeline, I decided to arrange the dates and time just like the calendar look. I did some research on Active Ageing Festival and found out that the Festival does not take place in one day but rather throughout some months, so I decided to capture 4 weeks of the year (the last 2 weeks from October and the last 2 weeks from November), and time is indicated just below the date itself. I highlight the dates on which the event take place by increasing their size and keeping the opacity at 100% (whereas the others are in small size and much lower opacity).

-------------------------
Feedback from tutor:
- Ms. Siti said that I have to use photographs that I took myself. (the lady's face is taken from the Internet)
- I can try to separate the dates, time, venue from the remaining elements by putting them into a box.
- I should lower the text and title further down because there is still too much white space in between

Below is my second draft:


I added the orange and green rainbow/ribbon to make the poster more colorful, and this time I changed to the face of an old man, who is my grandfather.

----------------------------------------
Feedback from lecturer and tutor:
- Ms. Siti told me to improve that by replacing the stars with something more relevant to the poster concept, such as sportsman's stick figures and the like.
- Dr. Julian suggested me to increase the size of the face and remove the rainbow.
Taking all suggestions into consideration, this is my FINAL POSTER:


0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 * All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.