0

Tutorial 6 - Assignment 5 - Poscard Design (theme: Music Festival)

Posted by Mr.Panda on 9:55 PM

For this assignment, I am required to design a postcard that conveys the theme "Music Festival". The aim of this assignment is to experiment with colors, which is why I cannot use photographs.

I have a keen interest in "Classical Music", so I decided to create a postcard with an elegant look. Through out the design process, I have come up with a variety of prototypes. Below is my first draft:


My idea is to have a giant violin or cello as the main element that invokes a feeling of a Classical Concert since this kind of instrument is closely associated with classical music. The white dots represent the stars and the black background is the sky at night, the rainbow with musical notes coming out of the cello resembles the melody. The reason for using rainbow is because the concert is meant to be melodically colorful and enjoyable. Moreover, I want the cello to have glowing effect, so that blurred its outline, but it turned out rather blurry instead of glowing, this idea therefore did not work out as intended.

I used Scriptina as the font for the title and the floral curves at the bottom, both of which give the postcard an elegant feel. Also, it seems that the floral curves are supporting the cello... :)

------------------------
Feedback from class:
- The stars look like snow.
- The title font looks too thin.
- They also commented on the problem of making the cello look glowing because it does not.
- Many have mentioned that the rainbow looks somewhat unconnected with the musical theme, and made it look less elegant (I'm glad that they realized the postcard's theme is elegant since this is my intention), but some liked my idea of using rainbow and argued with the same rationale I showed above.

Below is my second draft, with a change in the rainbow's direction. In addition, I added information regarding the time and venue for the event, together with the songs that were going to be performed. My idea is to put the song names in the rainbow and it makes sense since the rainbow represents music. Also, I increased the stroke of the title so that it is more visible.


-------------------------
Feedback from tutor:
- Event venue and time, song names and musical notes can be reduced to make the work look less heavy.
- Event venue and time can be included on the back of the postcard.
- Since the postcard is in portrait, I can also rotate the back into portrait as it will be easier to view.'
- I can rework on stars and make them have more edges since the sky idea is nice.

This has guided me to come up with the third draft below:

Initially, this was my final prototype for the postcard since the red color in the rainbow looks nice, but after printing several times the work still did not have the same color as shown on screen, so I had to abandon it and choose another one from my color schemes, below is my FINAL PROTOTYPE for submission, the color scheme for this is TETRAD:

Below are my 9 color schemes that I experimented, these are among the best I have:


0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 * All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.